About Deb Mertin
| My professional background is a very different field than coaching, as I worked in dentistry for over 25 years as part of thriving, energetic, team-based practices. I also have experience in the educational field of creating curriculum, as well as managing a clinical environment.
Life experiences lead me to retire from dentistry and pursue a new calling in church leadership, which was a brand new environment for me. This career shift provided a different opportunity to serve Him in ministry. I was the Director of Operations in a large multi-faceted church in Canada, overseeing staff, finance and property.
I know first hand the stresses of management, whether in the corporate or private or non- profit sector. As a leader I have used strategic planning to navigate through challenges. I know the realities of burnout and can affirm that it is never a waste to go through it! It definitely is not a sign of failure.
I am a Life Coach, trained through the Professional Christian Coaching Institute and am a member of the Christian Coaches Network. I have personally experienced the benefit of having a Life Coach after transitioning from a management leadership role in a large multi-faceted church environment.
It is a true privilege to walk alongside a pastor, coaching this individual in defining direction, developing a strategy and creating a plan of mobilization to realize their God-given vision. The resources provided through Ministry Advantage are intentional, focused and results driven so that the partnership of a pastor and coach can work cohesively. I am a strong advocate of systems and processes that allow churches to work efficiently and effectively, freeing the pastor do do what the person is passionate about. To see pastors regain confidence, move from being a manager to a strong focused leader is the greatest gift of coaching. My association with Ministry Advantage is perfectly matched to my strengths, acquired skills and passion to see the Kingdom changed through effective Ministry. Together a coach and a pastor can be used for impacting the church leadership to create a strong, vital future with eternal impact for the lives of it's people.
First, you will have an experienced Pastor-Coach as your Personal Coach. All 30 of our Pastor-Coaches were coached and trained by one of our Ministry Advantage coaches and then recruited based on a rigorous set of standards and competencies. Most all of our coaches are still pastoring a successful church. Our coaching pool includes pastor-coaches experienced in leading churches of all sizes, backgrounds, and stages of development from church plants to mega churches over 10,000 in attendance.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A PERSONAL COACH
A knowledgeable, ministry-experienced coach will personally coach during weekly telephone/Skype coaching sessions. Your Personal Coach will take an active role in helping you develop and implement specific ministry processes tailored for your church.
During these regular coaching calls your coach will guide and encourage you to achieve your plans one step at a time. Your coach will also help keep you on track as you implement your plans and insure that you learn and apply each ministry strategy effectively before moving to the next step. The following is a check-list of what you can expect during this experience:
- Pastors experience weekly telephone coaching calls (45-60 minutes) with a qualified proven coach.
- Coaching sessions are designed to be highly interactive.
- Coaches utilize the MA Resource Modules to create specific and desired outcomes for each church.
- Each coaching session ends with an agreed upon assignment of the next step (Task) in the process that the pastor will be learning and implementing in his church.
- Pastors and coaches have the ability to communicate progress, questions, feedback, and solutions between sessions via the Internet.
Your coach will guide you in learning and implementing our unique 7Practices of Effective Churches with your staff, volunteer leaders, and your church. Our systems approach to coaching and church development contains practical training and specific steps to help you design and implement the breakthrough processes your church needs next.
CHARACTERISTICS OF OUR COACHING RESOURCES:
- Modular in design which makes it easy to “cherry pick” needed systems
- Internet accessible modules
- Coaching Videos
- Library of “best practices”
- Written content is bite-sized to enhance quick learning
- Specific Tasks and Templates for easy application of each practice/skill
- Transferable methods and systems
- Resources for staff & volunteer development
FOR MORE DETAIL ON OUR COACHING RESOURCES
See “7 Practices” in the side bar on this page. You can click on each title, for example, “Strategic Planning & Implementation” and read an overview of the coaching objectives in that module.
And finally, you will have the opportunity to participate in advanced Workshops and Seminars.
- Advanced Training
- Interactive Team Building/Development
- Assessments and Evaluations
Other available Worshops and Resources:
- Building Powerful Ministry Teams
- Personal DISCernment Inventory
- Mastering the Art of Communication
- High Performance Meetings
- Managing Conflict
- Leading From Your Strengths
- Marriage Insights
- Different by Design Marriage Conference
- Developing & Managing People
- Capital Campaigns
These practical application environments will help you refine and strengthen your skills and execute your strategies.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MINISTRY ADVANTAGE WORKSHOPS, WEBINARS, ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Bi-annual Workshop opportunities
- Cutting-edge Webinars with nationally known church leaders
- Interactive conference calls
- Interactive online learning experiences with your coach using our Online Training Center
- Question & Answer formats
- Networking & Benchmarking opportunities with other pastors/churches
- Developing valuable relationships with likeminded pastors
Ministry Advantage Coaching provides a proven experience combining three powerful components that together help pastors develop an advanced skill set. This application oriented coaching is vital to a pastor who desires to take his leadership skills and his Church to the next level of effectiveness.
A Message from Russ
"Deb began by helping me be clear about my leadership style and what my leadership strengths are. I didn't know this before. I did what I did and hoped it would work. But being able to understand what I'm doing has given me a new sense of confidence.
Deb skilfully and patiently led me through the materials and as a result, my team and I have revamped our church's vision and mission statements, identified our church's core values and our framework for our ministry. At this point, we are leading our Ministry Think Tank in developing our 10 year strategic plan. But, thanks to Deb, we actually know what we're doing!
Deb's expertise and insight was invaluable. I will gladly refer her to other pastors who can benefit from her coaching."
DR. JAMES C. PERKINS, PASTOR